Fitted the shock/spring units so the car is now freestanding and thus I now techically have a rolling chassis!! Hooray!! Okay so it's perhaps not quite what most of us consider to be a rolling chassis but it is a chassis and it is rolling so there... :-p
Here are some close-ups on the spring units and how I have fitted them to the chassis. They do look nice don't they? Note that spring to top wishbones clearance is only 2mm or so each side which I hope will be enough but time will tell...
Here is what I did on the top mount. I welded the bracket to the chassis tube fully and then put the 25mm flat bar across the gap to form a triangle. I then put little triangles of metal in at each side and welded these to form what should be a strong structure. On the underside there was only a 10mm gap which was virtually flush once I had seam welded it so I just added some more weld until it was flush.
Meerkats Blog & Locost RV8 Build Diary
Personal blog describing the build of a Rover V8 engined Locost sports car, the service and maintenance of a BMW 535d and various other hobbies and sports.
RT @Macparrot: OK, DO THIS NOW!
If you have an iPhone activate Siri and say: "I see a little silhouetteo of a man”
Something wonderful will happen
RT @benthompson: Companies want innovative thinkers but only hire people who have followed the rules from elementary school on ¯\_(ツ)_/¯