Had to take a few steps backwards over the last few days to enable me to make enough room to fit some seats and an engine...
After visiting a fellow Locost V8 builder from a nearby town (Hi Bruce) I decided to rebuild my transmission tunnel to maximise seat room. Bruce managed to keep the tunnel width to a minimum and is still having trouble fitting his seats. My tunnel was 3 inches wider so I'd have ended up with a child's booster cushion for a seat! I also took some advice from Bruce regarding engine space and moved my engine and gearbox 3 inches further back to avoid my crankshaft pulley from impacting my steering rack.
Anyway, the tunnel has now been replaced and is almost complete with just a couple of extra uprights and some fillets to put in place. As you will see from the following pictures, I have also cut out tubes Q and C to allow the gearbox to go back into place. I have also changed the way that the two foremost 'H' tubes attach to Q and C by inclining them. This give more foot room for the driver which was another concern I had previously. Finally, I don't have a photo of it in place but I have modified the standard SD1 gearbox mounting and welded it to a couple of SHS tubes which will span across the tubes 'm' and 'l'
Next main development should be engine mountings followed by completion of the rear suspension. I can then turn attention to the front suspension and work towards getting this thing rolling!